The French 75 mm field gun was a quick-firing field artillery piece adopted in March 1898. Designed as an anti-personnel weapon system – a weapon primarily used to maim or kill infantry. Hence, it delivered large volumes of time-fused (a fuse made to burn for a given time) shrapnel shells on enemy troops advancing in the open.
It was the first field gun to include a hydro-pneumatic recoil mechanism, which kept the gun’s trail and wheels perfectly still during the firing sequence. Therefore, rendering re-aiming unnecessary. This was due to the fact that the crew could reload and fire as soon as the barrel returned to its resting position.
In typical use, the French 75 could deliver fifteen rounds per minute on its target, either shrapnel or melinite high-explosive, up to about 8,500 m (5.3 mi) away.
It was also used, among others as the basic field gun of the Polish Army in the interwar period and during the 1939 Defense War.
This new set from COBI is issued in connection with the 100th anniversary of Poland regaining its independence.
Additionally, the model presents the Polish artilleryman from General Haller’s Blue Army serving the French 75mm field cannon.
The set also includes a mini model with a fragment of a demolished wall and a Polish flag.