Out of stock
The Avro 504 was a First World War biplane aircraft. A biplane is a fixed-wing aircraft with two main wings stacked one above the other. Whilst a biplane wing structure has a structural advantage over a monoplane, it produces more drag than a monoplane wing. The Avro aircraft company were responsible for making them, as well as being under licence by others.
The first-time the Avro 504 two-seater aircraft took off was in 1913 after being built for the needs of the British Army where it was mostly used by Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. It served mainly as a training aircraft, but also used as a combat aircraft: light bomber, reconnaissance aircraft and fighter aircraft. Indeed, many different versions of the Avro 504 were produced (designation B – H), of which the K model was by far the most popular (nearly 6000 pieces).
The single skid between the wheels, referred to as the “tooth pick” in the RAF, mean that the 504 is easily recognisable.
Production during the war totalled 8,970 and continued for almost 20 years, making it the most-produced aircraft of any kind that served in any military capacity during the First World War. More than 10,000 were built from 1913 until production ended in 1932.
In particular, the 504K was a two-seat training aircraft. It had a universal mount to take different engines. Furthermore, there was a single-seat fighter (Comic) conversion used for anti-zeppelin work. Indeed, Australian Aircraft & Engineering assembled several of them.
The aircraft has many moving parts including rotating wheels, moving ailerons and a propeller. What’s more, at the controls you can attach two figures of pilots.